Monday, December 1, 2014

We must be proactive....

Its Monday babysitters and what’s on my mind? I’m sure some of you don’t care so you can stop reading here and enjoy your day. Now…the rest of you who are nosey, go ahead and continue to read. Well while scanning the news stations this morning CNN is reporting that POTUS will address police actions (as a whole in this country) in the wake of the Ferguson/ Michael Brown shooting with Police officials, civil rights leaders (I wonder will those civil rights leaders include Hispanic, Asian and others). I'm assuming he wants to address Police actions as a whole and the use of deadly force.


Ok and I got no issue with that, however how about he also addresses the “Elephant” in the room; the lack of Minorities within the Police forces across the country. Many community activists and some leaders I have seen lately talking about the Police need training as well as understanding cultural differences. On occasion I have had my “Blackness” questioned. Or been told I don’t know what it’s like in the “real” world because I have lived a sheltered life in the military.. I also have lived in more parts of this country and have been exposed to more things (both good and bad) then those pointing fingers. I don’t feel I need to wear my blackness on a daily bases or prove anything to anyone. Last I checked the mirror I’m pretty damn dark. To those folks I say I was born black and I will die black and that’s what’s up.

One of the fundamental tenants (and goals) of Affirmative Action is that businesses, organizations, etc. should be a reflection of their community. So that means if a town is 85% Asian, then the police force too should be 85% Asian. Or say 60% minority, then again the police force’s goal should be 60% of its officers should be minority. And to you that say this is stupid and that adding minorities isn’t gonna change anything. To you I saw…look at our military. Many whites had issues with blacks and other minorities when they entered service. Many of those whites had never met, associated or befriended a minority until the military. But over time (we aren’t perfect but we are better than society as a whole) many began that friending process. They hung out, they talked. They shared life experiences and in the end friendship and trust were earned as well as mutual respect gained.

Now again, we in the military have those that are racist, sexist, etc. but again, as a whole, I believe we are doing a better example of showing America society how to move forward, act and grow than American society is showing us. So I’m not saying adding minorities to the Police forces will stop all this but it’s a better place to start than sitting around talking about it. I’ve always said one of the greatest weapons we have against the “isms” is education. So for all of you reading this I will remind you of something I was taught and have since used it when I talk about these types of things. Look around you; look at your CIRCLE of FRIENDS. What does this circle look like? Is it exclusive or inclusive? Especially when looking at the racial makeup of said friends? As usual, it will almost always start and end with us…we, the citizens, people, mothers, fathers, sons and daughters of this society.

No comments:

Post a Comment