Saturday, December 6, 2014

What is Facebook


What’s on my mind? Well Facebook, FACEBOOK is on my mind. 6 years ago I created a MySpace account because of my oldest son. A few weeks later I created a Facebook account. And while in Korea I started connecting and reconnecting with friends both far and near. It was great, catching up with people I hadn’t heard from since I was in high school and even found people from before that time in my life. I have always enjoyed looking through folk’s pictures and videos and catching a glimpse of their lives now. Seeing how they have grown, matured and created wonderful lives with their growing families is a privileged thing. And to those I say, thank you for sharing. Reflecting on how some of us have grown and others, still in the same place they were when I knew or met them. But hey, to each his/her own.

So the future of Facebook is what’s on my mind. Facebook has seemingly changed from a place to reconnect and or chat to one where folks spend a lot of energy seemingly promoting hate and or discord. So many posts and videos lately are geared towards separating and creating discord not educating and bringing us together; disappointing to me. Free speech and the expression of ones feeling is a great thing. But it is also a double edged sword. It means that those on the other side of that coin to have a voice and can and should be heard whether we like it or not. Tons and tons of photos, memes, video, etc, etc get posted daily and sometimes I really sit and ponder, “What in the flying F*&k did s/he post that for?” “What is it they are really trying to say but don’t want to say it?” In other words…Intent vs. Impact. You can’t see the other side of a computer screen and its sooo easy to hide behind it.

So is it really Facebook or is it the people on Facebook that have changed? I’d say people have changed…well…some people have changed. Over time I believe some people’s true colors are showing and for me it’s disappointing…personally. I don’t think “unfriending” or cleaning up your friends list is the answer. I think the “Following” button is a much better option. As well as people taking the time to really listen to what others are saying and not looking for agreement. But that’s seems to be easier said than done. Far too often some seem to think if I listen to someone else whose opinion differs from mine and I actually acknowledge and understand what they are saying or their point of view I am by default I agree.  That’s simply not true. I feel SOME spend way too much time trying to convince others they are correct instead of just putting the information out there and allowing others to figure it out for themselves. And for me, personally…I’ve grown tired of it.

So Facebook hasn’t changed for me. I still choose to stay connected and reconnect with friends both old and new. I choose to view Facebook as an additional medium for communication and it will always be that for me. But I’m always mindful of a quote that I feel speaks volumes. One I heard some years ago and it took a while before I really got the message. So I’m gonna close with said quote. “If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you.” Can’t change everyone but that is definitely what the Follow button is for.

No comments:

Post a Comment