Friday, July 11, 2014

My Sons...


For most of you Friday is a welcome sight as you are looking forward to the weekend, have a few beers, relax and throw some steaks on the grill; however for me, this Friday...not so. Today is Friday and it’s a grave reminder that my time has run out.; as it is HS and MS football season in Hardin County Kentucky and the “dead period” is over which means that two players who bare the same name as I must return to
join their teammates as they prepare for yet another season. As a father it is one of the things I always looked forward to with their older brother as well as when I played and coached them on youth teams. My youngest son...I have never seen him play Middle School football and I likely never will. It's sad but it is a part of the realities of life. I have responsibilities to them as a father which unfortunately keeps me from actually being there to see either of them play. Crazy ain’t it. But that’s what grownups do when you have children that you are responsible for. You make the hard decisions so that hopefully, they won't have to when it's their turn.


 I’ve waited patiently since the X-mas break and visit for the privilege of working with and training my sons this summer prior to their seasons starting. See, it's not about me but them.  Some may have gotten tired of my "Project Build-A-Beast" posts, pictures and comments. To you I say..."Tell it to my balls!" As I really don't give a damn. I got to get up and 5 days a week since 7 June I got to work out with my sons every morning and afternoons. I know some father's that don't have the time to do this nor do they care. And that's ok for them as it's my choice to do what I do for my sons. Not necessarily to make up for lost time but because they are my sons and I want to see them be the best they
can be.


 Life is short and childhood is getting shorter every single year. My father wasn't able to be there for me and help me with sports and or train. I have the knowledge, ability and time to so I'd be a fool not to. I have watched and listened to Rome and Jeff, smile, laugh, argue and throw up (twice LOL) since we started this lil venture. I have watched my younger son's face display disappointment when he was slapped with the reality that he wasn't as strong as he thought he was and then beam with joy when he pressed just over 70lbs over his head. I've watched his form like a hawk and have gone from correcting his every move to "Good rep son" as he'd finish a set. He is smart and he has learned as well as worked hard with me. They were here for father’s day which made it that much sweeter too.

My middle son...I'm just as proud of him too. He came 3 weeks later and dove right into our Cross-fit

football sessions. I was impressed but mostly proud of his strength and desire. He has a good work ethic that I attribute to his own personal desire to excel on the field. Yeah...he argued and cried some too but that’s to be expected. But the pics and conversations they provided me with are some I will treasure for a life time. My sons are growing up fast and I've missed so much. But having my summer cut short by their commitment to football and their teammates are something a father can only be proud of not jealous or angry.

So tonight we will take in a movie Rome and Jeff are dying to see and we will surely laugh and get to bed late. Arise early and hit the road for the airport in Raleigh where their journey back to KY awaits them along with their respective coaches and teammates. Yes they have missed a week but they won’t be behind physically because they put in work this summer. It pains me that I don’t get to see them play as I got to be there and watch their older brother play. On some levels I feel a lil cheated but as I said…as an adult, sometimes you have to do the things you don’t want to do until you get to do the things you want to do. I love my sons with all my heart and they know this to be true. As I am their biggest fan and supporter of all that they choose to do.  So Rome and Jeff…I’ve enjoyed our summer and I’m happy for every day I got to spend with you. I’ve enjoyed the jokes, debates, smiles, frowns, looks and the laughter. I’ve enjoyed the arguing and the whining. I’ve enjoyed being pissed off at you and enjoyed smiling at you. But most of all…I’ve simply enjoyed…just being your father. Love you always your biggest fan…Dad.



 




3 comments:

  1. NOTHING stops you and your wife from travelling to Kentucky instead of being selfish and only seeing each other. How many hundreds of miles and hundreds of dollars in Gas Money do you and Kerry spend a month to be childless and see each other? This is ridiculous. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerome, thank you for sharing this loving tribute of your family time. It takes great patience, love, and endurance to look beyond the negative aspects; you have accomplished that! We enjoy your posts as you chronicle your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, BARF! Did my Mother write this? Thank you for sharing a 'loving tribute of his family time'? What is this? A death? Come on. First, Jerome Dingle abused the crap out of me for 13 years and then lied, committed crimes against my children and I and now you state he is looking beyond the negative aspects? You mean his negative crimes and lies? Is he looking beyond the situation he created? Should Jerome not be held accountable for the fact that he was found guilty because he couldn't stop himself from ABUSING? Will you please stand corrected and state that he is living with the reality he created? He lied. He abused. He lost his kids because he couldn't pass a forensic expert evaluation. What did he accomplish? Idiots like you who actually applaud him in his failures. Again, barf. Excuse me while I lose my lunch. In respect to you 'applauding your posts as you chronicle your journey'...I hope you stand corrected when I remind you that he is a grown man and it isn't about HIM it is about the kids and THEIR JOURNEY. So, maybe he should 'chronicle' taking the hundreds of dollars of gas money his wife and him spend to continue their charade of a long distance marriage and 'journey' to see his kids play Football. Maybe? You think. And, then maybe he can stop this whiny, dribble of a victim act and people like you can continue to applaud him and look beyond the negative and applaud my kids journey as they survived his abuse and now thrive without it.

    ReplyDelete