Sunday, February 19, 2012

Shocked, Saddened and Surprised by some of my peers...

Whitney Houston passed away last week; she was one of the greatest R&B singers to ever grace the stage and have her voice on vinyl. But at some point in her career drugs were introduced and we can all agree…she was never gonna be the same. Her claim to fame forever will be singing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl. She inadvertently set the bar so high, I don’t believe anyone will ever sing it better than she did. And for those artists since she sang it who are bestowed the honor of singing it too…will forever be in her shadow.


Governor Christie decided to lower the flag in the state of NJ in her honor. I like so many were confused by the numerous claims of “flags” being lowered but when I found out more details and that it was the state I had and still have no issue with his decision. He did it for Clarence Clemons another famous musician and for NJANG members killed overseas. I served in the NJANG from 87-89 at which point I switched and came onto active duty. Total now…I have served 24 years. I joined the Army when it wasn’t popular and it wasn’t all too cool. The Army and our fellow services in my day was seen as a place to go when you couldn’t cut it or weren’t smart enough to go to college or you just couldn’t hack it in the “real world.” Yep, had all those things actually said to me. There was no wars going on, no glory to be sought…just serving your country. I recall a conversation between my father and I (who served 24 years as well as a tour in Vietnam and countless other Operations) in which he asked me why in the hell did I go in the Army to be a Scout? Why wasn’t I coming in to get a trade, something I could use when I got out. My response…naive as it was, I told him if I was gonna serve in the Army I was gonna do a job that I felt defined serving. He just scoffed at me and said I was stupid.

As I sat there…I quietly thought to myself…”I ain’t stupid. I know what I’m doing.” Like I said, I was naïve, proud but still young and very much naïve. When I came home from my training at Fort Knox in the summer of 1990 I recall yet another conversation my father had with me outside. He asked, “Do you know what your doing? Do you know what you have gotten yourself into? Do not call me complaining. You know all about the Army and you made your choice…so deal with it.” My response was, “Yeah…I know what I’m doing. I got it.” Again…so young and so naive. My first duty station was Ft Carson and I recall walking point on what was my first field problem; that night as I moved up and down some hills, it dawned on me…there could be someone out here whose sole purpose was to kill me. That night I grew up. That night the Army stopped being this “cool” job and with every step I took, became all too real. I changed that night…and I finally understood what my father meant.

Fast forward to today. For days I have read a lot of comments on our favorite social media site Facebook. And as I sit here on a gloomy Sunday morning I am some what saddened by some of the comments. Specifically by those who currently serve our country. These comments all came about when mentioning of the flagged being lowered to half-mast for Whitney Houston. I like everyone else made a comment. However not having the facts I asked what was being done with the flags, whose idea was it and if it was our Commander and Chief…then shame on him. I was corrected and told it was the state of NJ that was gonna lower the flag. And at that point…I felt it was fine and had no issue with it. Now I’m sure there maybe more to it but that’s about as far as I felt I needed to go.

However, I can’t say the same for my fellow Soldiers. Many have gone on rants, half cocked and made some pretty colorful comments. Last year the Army decided to call us a “Profession of Arms” a calling in which only true professionals should inquire. So that leads me back to the numerous comments. Comments which are opinions but coming from those of us who serve…I feel have gone from opinions to just poor taste…or “unprofessional.”

When I think of a “Crack-head” I think of Chris Rock’s character “Pookie” ashy lips and all from the movie “New Jack City.” Is it really necessary to call her “Crack-head?” Well she did drugs I’m sure some of you are saying. Guess cause I’m black it’s cool to call me a nigger? Or the overweight woman in the store “fat-ass” since she is fat and her ass is large. I lost someone close to me to suicide and it forever changed my perception of someone who chooses to take their life in that manner. I cringe when I sit in meetings with my fellow “professionals” and they refer to Soldiers with weight problems as “Fat asses, fat boys or fat bodies.” Is it necessary? Nope, but hey I’m skinny as hell so I guess I can put someone else down since it’s not me.

Whitney Houston was an amazing artist no one will ever be able to take that away from her. And yes, she had trouble with drugs and alcohol which surely caused her untimely departure. Some say she threw away her God given talent. I guess some of you could be pissed at me and say I’m dumb because I too squandered my talent by joining the military (cause I couldn’t get a real job) instead of going to college and becoming an artist.

But for we who are in a profession such as ours…one that by its nature is thankless…it makes me wonder. Why did so many of us join? I have heard that the generation upon us is the “Me, Me, Me” generation. Look at me, I’m in the military, everyone needs to come thank me and tell me how great I am because I have served during a time of war. Hell, ever Friday we hand out weekly awards called “Hero of the Week” in an effort to make Soldiers feel good about themselves. Kinda like handing out trophies just for playing a sport. I have lost friends and I have seen death. So all of you who don’t know what this is like…are somehow less than I am? I guess my 24 years really doesn’t mean that much when compared to some of my peers since I have only been to Iraq once while others have been more than 4 times. It seems over the years, I have spoken to and read many comments in which the consensus is the same….look at me, look at what I do, give me recognition. Really? And why did you join? Was it so you could go home and brag to your buddies about who you killed, or what you did while you were deployed? Or did you simply join because you wanted to be apart of something bigger than yourself?

Why do some of us feel the need to compare our lives to that of someone else? It’s a shame that many service members’ deaths go unnoticed to the masses. But people die everyday and we within the services don’t always know about it nor do many even care. Does it make their deaths somehow less important or meaningful because WE don’t acknowledge it? There’s a movie titled “Gardens of Stone” starring James Caan and James Earl Jones. I urge some of you to watch it.

I read a comment in which someone said, “We as Americans need to get our priorities straight.” I wondered if the writer considered himself, a Soldier, an American? One of the mottos of the Army’s Special Forces is the “Quiet Professionals.” I wonder why.

No comments:

Post a Comment