Thursday, June 25, 2015

What's in the news today

 So the debate rages on and my newsfeed is full of stuff fore and against the confederate flag. One major argument is that the flag was hijacked by radicals (Hmmm so was the religion of Islam yet folks still hate them and are not tolerant) and that we should all be educated enough to know the difference (just like we should know that folks who are Muslims aren't all terrorists or Jihadists) and be able to separate the two (Just like good Muslims and bad Muslims).
  I don't openly talk about racism or the racism I have experienced over my life time because...truth be told...no one wants to hear it. It's a very uncomfortable subject for a lot of folks and not all can have a mature, open and honest discussion about it. I've heard numerous rationalizations for why things happen but seldom does someone simply say that it was probably an instance of racism. Some of the defense mechanisms that prolong it: Denial, rationalization, blame, and reinterpretation are just a few. You know sometimes people act in a manner which is clearly racist and you just gotta call it for what it is. Today many groups are aware and are making others aware of the existence of personal racism in its mini- or ultra-subtle forms but you also have to be open to it. Have you noticed how racism has changed over time and how it has subverted or resisted challenges? Racism is flexible and adaptable. Another way to defuse responsibility is by claiming that all the devastation occurring to minorities happened in the past. Some white people are often oblivious to the fact that many of the same discriminatory policies of a hundred years ago are still in effect today. Just this morning a white news anchor implied that with us having a Black president, he thought the country was moving in a positive direction. I have heard this numerous times from numerous people and they are always shocked when something happens. How is that?  I've been married to 3 white women...I know first hand.
 Because if it's not talked about then it doesn't or hasn't or won't happen...in some folks mind. I have never ever ever ever had a person who wasn't black ask me, "Hey Dingle, when was the first time you were called a nigger?" Because for me at the age of 8, I will never forget the day it happened. One of the benefits of being white is that you do not have to see or deal with racism all the time. It is scary, difficult, risky and may bring up many feelings, but ultimately is the only healthy and moral thing to do that being confront it and talk about it. Understand the motivations behind it and the power it has.
 This weekend and the following weekends when you have people over, take a honest minute and look around. How many people that don't look like you are at your home?  How many kids that don't look like your kids are always over at your house? If you have teenagers...what do their friends look like? I could go on and on with questions but you may understand what I'm saying. Which is, what does your circle of friends look like?
 Almost everyone knows I was a post level Equal Opportunity Advisor and I was the led for the Unit level course and facilitators course for 3 years. I wasn't always well liked by some blacks when I had the position because I have always called it like I saw it and wasn't quick to jump on their side when they felt they were being discriminated against by a leader. I am the last guy you will ever see "playing the race card" but you can bet after I dissect a problem or issue and I have exhausted all other explanations if it's racist, sexist or what ever I'm going to call it like I see it.
 So babysitters, this will likely be my final post on this subject as it's pretty clear no one wants to REALLY discuss the topic of racism and all the ugliness that it brings. because like everything in life, if you don't talk about it, it will miraculously go away. Folks need to realize...it will never ever go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment