Sunday, September 11, 2011

Let's chit chat...

 This morning I had a length conversation with an old friend from college. We talked about everything under the sun as we got caught up on each other’s lives since our last talk. As with all of us human beings, we all have things in common. The one thing I feel we all have had to deal with or have in common are relationships.

 Relationships seem to span not only gender but race, color, social status, geographic location, you name it. They are truly universal. So as me and my buddy chatted up and focused on relationships we shared with each other our opinions, success as well as failures. Until I made one statement; “Why do we…at times settle for a partner? I mean think about it…when you shop for a big screen TV, do you buy the first one you see? No. It’s funny. We will spend hours and weeks searching for the TV we want yet we won’t do that when we are looking for someone.” And with that, the philosophical discuss began. We get into relationships and there are times we over look items because of whatever or rational is. But then when the relationship goes sour, we look to outside forces as potential reasons for the demise of the relationship when truth be told, we probably knew it was doomed from the start. We just thought we could over look things. In short you realize you compromised or settled. We used the “80/20” rule. Where if your partner has 80% of what you want, you should over look the other 20. Personally I think that is redonkulous. When was the last time you bought something and got just want you wanted? Often I am willing to bet.

 How or bet yet…how come we don’t treat relationships like we do items we buy at the store. How many times have you decided you wanted something and waited until it was available before purchasing it? I mean cars…how many times have you said I won’t get it until I can afford it the way I want it. I mean we tend to settle in what appears to be the most important area and yet will not in the least. Hell, we all have cars, TVs and numerous other items that we purchased that have outlasted relationships. And I’m sure we didn’t settle for the things we bought; we bought what we wanted.

 So as me and my bud continued we threw out different analogies but one seemed to really hit home. Ask yourself, how come we buy what we want and we don’t settle when we have to spend our hard earned money but with our hearts…we are damn near retarded?

No comments:

Post a Comment